I got to try Coast, the new WebKit-based browser, designed for the iPad by Opera. Personally, I think that this might be the best browser for iPad. Period.
Here’s what it is (screenshots below):
- Based on intuitive touch gestures
- No address bar/status bar eating up the screen space
- Designed like iOS 7
- Multiple tabs appear as separate cards – flick it up to close!
- Search-cum-address bar simplifies the browsing experience
- No status bar indication on whether a page is loading or not – might be fixed in the next version
- Slightly slower than Safari and Chrome – room for improvement in the upcoming versions
Overall, this is a welcome change to the browsers that we’ve been used to on the tablets. My only question to the Opera team is that, if this works for the iPad, it should suit the iPhone too. Can we expect Coast on iPhone?