The following solution is for those having a working internet connection; but, popping up YouTube gives you this mean error message: ‘There was a problem connecting to the network – try again’.
Problem OS: Some flavors of Froyo and Gingerbread (including the latest ICS look and feel ROM)
This is a simple case of a bad network entry in the phone’s hosts file.
- Use Root Explorer and navigate to /system/etc
- Make a backup of the hosts file
- Open the hosts file using a text editor (from phone or computer) and delete ALL entries for #youtube
- Save the file and move it back to the path mentioned in point 1
- Permissions for this file: rw-r–r–
Now open the YouTube app. It should work!