Why Nokia is the best bet for an entry-level Windows Phone
For just about INR 10,000 (~$200), the Indian market is flooded with smart phones. Though there are semi-smart phones like the Nokia Asha 311 available for much less, Android is still the king in this segment when it comes to hardware specifications, connectivity, screen-size and resolution, and so on.
If you have been watching the mobile ecosystem, wanting to shop for a new smart phone, there’s this new Nokia Lumia 510 Windows Phone. Unlike the Nokia Asha series, this Lumia 510 is a true smart phone, with:
- 4-inch WVGA (800×480 pixels) display
- A-GPS with Bing and Nokia Maps
- Nokia-drive – turn-by-turn navigation exclusive to Nokia Lumia series
- 5 megapixel camera
- Windows Phone 7.5 (upgradeable to Windows Phone 7.8 coming up early 2013)
All of the above and a little more for just under INR 10,000 or maybe even less here! Of course, if you move upwards from this price point, you have the Lumia 610 and Lumia 710 with 8GB in-built storage, with the latter sporting a clear-black-display, gorilla-glass and a 1.4GHz Qualcomm Scorpion processor. Nokia has strategically panned-out the Lumia series starting with a low price point!
The Lumia 510/610/710 and even the Lumia 800, lack the front-facing camera. However, the upcoming Lumia 620 powered by the new Windows Phone 8, packs a lot more punch. Well, if Lumia 510 is the most affordable Windows Phone 7 device, then Lumia 620 would be the one for Windows Phone 8.
You should go for the Lumia 510 or Lumia 610, if you:
- Are bored with the Android OS experience
- Are looking for a refreshing user-interface and user-experience
- Don’t care about thousands of useless apps
- Don’t play high-end games
- Read a lot of text on the web/twitter
- Are looking for a feature-packed smart phone with navigation, city lens and other Nokia goodies at a very interesting price point
At the end of the day, you know what you want from a usage perspective. The Nokia Lumia 510 and Lumia 610 are no-frills Windows Phones… or rather, no-frills smart phones!